Here it can be defined which limitations a user has regarding the email address.
If this option is not activated, it means, that a user does not need an email address. However, this will lead to limitations, as OpenOlat is set up for users having an email address. The following limitations can occur (list is not closing):
- No real emails will be sent.
- No notifications will be sent.
- Login with email address is not possible.
- Password cannot be reset.
If this option is not activated, it means, that several users can have the same email address. However, this will lead to limitations, as OpenOlat is set up for users having an email address. The following limitations can occur (list is not closing):
- Login with email address is deactivated in general. This means that any user cannot login with the email address, but only with the username. This is also valid for users who possess a unique email address.
- Users without a unique email address can reset their password only by inserting the username, but not the email address.
In both cases there can either no or no unique email be sent. Therefore we recommend compulsory to activate the internal OpenOlat inbox! Otherwise unexpected errors may occur!
E-mail inbox and outbox
OLAT has an internal e-mail inbox system that lists all sent and received e-mails of each user in his personal home area. The OLAT e-mail inbox system is an optional component.
Enable your OLAT e-mail inbox:
- If the OLAT inbox system is disabled, all OLAT e-mails will be sent exclusively to the personal e-mail address. The OLAT inbox is not visible in the home area with this configuration.
- If the OLAT inbox system is enabled, all received and sent emails will be listed in the users personal inbox.
In addition, each user can configure in his preferences wether he wants to receive mails from OLAT to his personal e-mail address or if he prefers to read the mail within OLAT. As administrator you can define the default behavior.
- Send e-mails to the internal OLAT inbox
- Send e-Mails to the internal OLAT inbox and the personal e-mail address
OpenOlat is sending e-mails for various events. To make the e-mails look more attractive, those e-mails are sent as HTML mails including formatting. Using the e-mail template you can modify the general appearance of all e-mails.
The following variable have to be in the template:
- $content : Is replaced with the actual content of the e-mail. The content is normally written in the recipients language.
- $footer : Is replaced with the generic footer line. The footer is written in the recipients language and can be modified using the language adaption tool for each language (see footer.no.userdata and footer.with.userdata from package org.olat.core.util.mail)